When you’re a kid, everyone thinks it’s so horrible to be an only child. Of course, there were times I wish I had siblings, but for the most part, I was fine being an only. Do you want to know when it’s really awful to be an only child? It’s when your parents get old. After one of them dies, you become the sole caregiver of the surviving parent. It’s not a bad thing when they’re still feeling good and doing their own thing. When they begin the downward spiral toward the end, it’s a different story.
I have no siblings. My father died in 2016. My mother’s two brothers died in 2009 and 2014. One was divorced and the other never married, so I have no aunts. I only have two first cousins and I’m not close to them. I’m married and have one child and a stepchild. My mother and husband never got along, so he’s no help. My stepdaughter never had a relationship with my mother and she also works full time and is getting married soon, so she has no time. My son is 21 and, like many teens and young adults, he’s irresponsible, self-centered, and unreliable. He’s good to drop in on his grandmother occasionally and check her mail once or twice a week, but I’m on my own when it comes to taking care of her.
I drive her to all of her doctor’s appointment. I do all of her grocery shopping. I pick up her prescriptions. I call her everyday. And I bear the burden of watching my best friend slowly decline. I alone worry about the day when she’ll forget me.
To say it sucks would be a tremendous understatement.

No comments:
Post a Comment